Research Center for Theology and Family
Through the development of research activities and a decade of a great deal of knowledge and organizational experience in research activities, and by changing the approach of the Islamic Propagation Office of Qom Seminary from function-oriented to problem-oriented, the structure of the deputy was changed to the Center for Islamic Studies in Isfahan. The Center, based on the resolution of the Research Council of ISCA, has tried to pursue its goals in four research departments "Ethics", "Religions", "Philosophy and theology" and "jurisprudence and law" on December 24, 2012, and has created an ideal context for new research activities.
With regards to this background, the establishment of a research center affiliated to ISCA, with emphasis on the scientific and religious needs in Isfahan got on the agenda. Finally, in 2016, considering the background, potentials, situation, and facilities, the center was changed to the “Research Center for Theology and Family” with three departments of “Family Studies”, “Social Ethics”, and “Comparative Theology”.
Carrying out research and studies on the development of the sciences and culture of “Islamic family” based on its structure, ethics, and theology
• Gaining scientific knowledge of the related issues and setting the priority of the studies by needs assessment
• Identification of the problems and methods of the solving the issues from the perspective of science and Islam
• Design and presentation of exemplars
• Answering the existing questions and challenges
• Criticism of the schools, opinions, and intellectual currents opposing family
• Increasing the interdisciplinary studies
• Study and design a comprehensive exemplar of family emphasizing the relationship of the couples using the Islamic sources
• Analysis of the grounds, effects, and solutions of the issues of family from the perspective of public morality, especially honesty
• Study the opinions and ideas concerning family in various religions, sects, schools, and intellectual currents
Department for Family Studies
The department, considering the need of the society to know family scientifically, tries to analyze the issues of family including marriage, marital relationship, and parenting, for strengthening and promoting the structure and function of family. The department is after a deep understanding of the concept of family by carrying out scientific studies, criticising and analyzing the theories regarding family, and presentation of exemplars of an Islamic family. The mission of the department is fundamental and practical study aimed at expansion and development of the scientific view of family in Iran.
• Carrying out research on the issues of family regarding its structure, relationships, and system
• Identification of the family problems and design of interferences with the aim to prevent and cure family problems
• Presentation of an exemplary Islamic family
• Identification and presentation of the foundations, principles, and structure of an Islamic family
Research and study for
• Discovery of the patterns of the relationship of couples and their scale based on Islamic teachings
• Study the problems of knowledge in the relationship of couples and the methods of solving based on Islamic sources
• Identification of the grounds of relationship problems of the users of social networks and the audience of satellite television
• Compilation of a comprehensive educational package for improvement of family relationships
Department for Social Ethics
Undoubtedly, morality has a great share in the Islamic sources and other Abrahamic religions. So, one of the most important missions of humanities is regarding morality issues. Public Morality Department tries to browse, criticise, and theorize in the area of Islamic morality focused on the issues of family, and study the new issues of the field by using new scientific methods.
• Study and research in the area of family issues from the perspective of public morality
• Methodic and scientific explanation of the foundations, principles of the Islamic morality, especially in the field of public morality and regarding issues of family
• Pathology of the moral issues of family and identification of the problems of public morality related to family and presenting the solutions
• Extraction and presentation of the exemplars of the life from the Islamic sources regarding the issues of family
Research and study for:
• Analyzing the grounds and factors of dishonesty in family and its solutions
• Analyzing the grounds and factors of deception in the media and its solutions (especially for the kids and teenagers)
• Ways of promoting honesty based on Islamic morality, especially in families
• Study the personal, family, and social effects of honesty and dishonesty from the perspective of Islamic morality
Department for Comparative Theology
The Comparative Theology Department focuses on theological issues of family emphasizing the Islamic thought. The department tries to study the aspects of issues of family using a variety of methods and the potential of Islamic sciences including Islamic philosophy, theology, hadith, etc. The department focuses on the practical view in understanding, demonstrating, and using the religious propositions in the area of family issues.
• Research in the area of issues of family from the perspective of comparative theology
• Study the issues related to the theology of religions, sects, schools, and intellectual currents in the area of issues of family
• Analysis of the opinions and thoughts in the area of comparative theology related to family
• Identification and answering the questions related to issues of family
Study and research for
• Ways of strengthening the religious beliefs in family
• Identification of methods of teaching the beliefs to kids
• Increasing the religious beliefs, especially in the youth, using the potential of religious meetings in homes
• Comparative study of household management in the opinions of Muslim and non-Muslim philosophers
Center for Scientific and International Cooperation
Effective scientific and research collaboration are the primary objectives of the Center for Scientific Cooperation and International Relation. The center tries extending the research cooperation in the field of Islamic studies. Holding scientific sessions, planning for national and international connections, participating in exhibitions and fairs are the fields of activities of the center.
1. Paving the way for national and international interaction and presentation of the scientific products of the academy according to the needs of the audience
2. Development and extension of national and international scientific and cultural cooperation
3. Supporting the faculty members and researchers for participation in national and international cultural and scientific events
Introducing research strengths, creating and developing a scientific relationship with prominent figures and research centers and organizing scientific sessions and meetings as well as conferences and their media coverage.
The center consists of four departments:
1. The department for scientific cooperation
2. The office for international affairs
3. Translations Unit
4. Office of Ceremonies
Center for Scientific and International Coordination
Rajab Ali Esfandyar
Masha Allah Papi Joharzadeh
Office for scientific cooperation
Expert for Scientific Cooperation
Expert for sessions and meetings
Expert for Media and Relations
Office for International Affairs
Sayyid Ebrahim Abbasi
Mohammad Taqi Mohammadian
Expert in Charge of Translation
Mohammad Reza Amouhosseini
Office for Cermonies
Expert in Charge of Cermonies
Expert for Cermonies
Center for Islamic Studies of Society and Civilization
After near a decade activity of the two research departments of ISCA, namely Center for Cultural and Social Studies and Civilizational Studies Department the activities of both were related to the social issues of contemporary Iran, in 2016 started a new phase of their activities as the Center for Social and Civilizational Studies.
The center is a religious studies organization providing strategic and intellectual support for strengthening the presence of religion in the social and personal life of contemporary Iran. The activities of the center are focused on the intellectual needs of the seminary and university elites, and the strategic needs of the heads of seminaries and the government.
• Carrying out strategic theoretical studies based on the Islamic theories in the areas of society and civilization
• Identifying, analyzing, and monitoring the religious status in Iran and reporting to the scientific and cultural centers and authorities
• Recognition and study the social and civilizational status of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the future evolution of its society
• Pathological studies of the cultural, social and, civilizational policies
Center for Islamic Studies of Society and Civilization has got three research departments:
1. Department for Civilizational Studies
Areas of Study
• Modern civilization and the Islamic world
• Modern civilization and civilizational otherness
• Civilizational record of the Islamic Republic of Iran
2. Department for Cultural and Social Studies
Areas of Study
Development of religious culture and the clergy
Social issues and the clergy
3. Department for Justice Study
Research plans: 27 published works (in various languages), 41 being conducted
Research plans conducted thus far: 43
Books ready to be published: 8 volumes
Journal articles: 27
Center for Revival of the Islamic Works
The Center for Revival of Islamic Works was established with the aim of critical reconstruction of the major Shia manuscripts. The center has published 176 books so far from the lasting research Shia works, by using the prominent researchers in the field of critical correction of the manuscripts as well as using the latest findings in this arena, and it is known as one of the most effective centers in this area. So far, 24 works of the center have been appreciated well in Iranian scientific festivals including Iranian Year Book Festival and Seminary Year Book Festival. Today, the Center for Revival of the Islamic Works focuses mainly on the two fields of publication and correction of classic Shia manuscripts as well as bibliography and codicology.
• Preserving the scientific, religious, historical identity of the Shia Seminary
• Benefitting from the scientific written heritage in the religious studies
• Highlighting the positive role of the Shia scholars in the Islamic civilization
• Recognition of the scientific and intellectual viewpoints and innovations of Shia scholars
• Honoring and admiring Shia scholars
• Identification of the Shia thinkers and scholars and their thoughts
• Benefitting from the scientific resources in fulfilling the current needs
• Spreading the Shia thought among the thinkers of the Islamic world
• Foundation of a concise bibliographical and codicological database
• Correcting and updating the methods of text editing and preserving the authenticity of the texts and sources of the Islamic sciences
• Accurate and solid research regarding the Islamic heritage, according to the newest methods of editing
• Identification of the questions regarding the Islamic teachings and answering them using the scientific heritage
• Innovation and specialization of the publications
• Enrichment of the works by performing critical and comparative editions
• Expansion of the culture of precise and critical editing in the Shia seminary
• Fulfilling the needs of the institutes, centers, and research departments of the Islamic Science and Culture Academy
• Avoiding repetitive researches
• Facilitating the access of the researchers to the sources
• Group research and using all of the related potentials and specialties in performing the research plans
The Department for Islamic Works Rivival and Correction
Correction is the technique and knowledge, which uses specific methods to edit and present old manuscripts. The Department for Islamic Works Revival and Correction is responsible for repairing and publishing the primary texts of the Shia thought, according to the defined duties of focus on accuracy and solidity, and in accordance to the newest methods of correction. The department corrects the texts critically by analyzing the current and future needs of the researchers. The department published the works of great Shia scholars, in the form of the collections of the works of figures (Mawsu’at a’lam al-Shia) and the specialized collections of the works, and single works.
• Planning for the preservation and revival of the historical works in the religion and Islamic knowledge field
• Acting on the preservation and revival of the works
• Applying the rules, regulations, national conventions regarding the preserving and reviving the works
• Making and fulfilling the strategic and emergency plans for preservation of the works
• Making action plans of documentation, pathology, preservation, and publication of the works
• Cooperation with the other centers working in the field
• Reporting as needed
Department for Codicology and Bibliography
The Codicology and Bibliography Department focuses on finding the best manuscripts and printed texts of the important Shia works on different subjects, considering the authenticity, antiquity, being nearer to the author’s era, being the handwriting of the author, and other factors, referring to the catalogs of libraries.
• Study the methods of codicology
• Checking the manuscripts considering the codicological information (title, author, beginning, ending, etc.)
• Codicology (font, scribe, number of pages, gilding, date, marginal notes, etc.)
• Identification of manuscripts in various fields of Islamic sciences
• Cooperation in the yearly and short-term research plans
• Study and assessment of manuscripts and lithographic copies
• Following up the requests of the researchers
Research Center for Civilizational Islam
Research deputy of the Khorasan branch affiliated to Islamic Propagation Office of the Qom Seminary started its activities in 1989, forming various scientific groups by using the potentials of the Shia Seminary and the universities of Khorasan. After succeeding in tens of research projects, it continued its activities under the name of Center for Islamic Sciences and Humanities. In 2016, its name changed to "research center for Civilizational Islam" by the decision of the Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy. The research center has four departments and fifteen faculty members. Each department on average benefits from eight members as the scientific committee. More than 200 researchers are collaborating with the research center.
Providing the scientific support for a new Islamic-Iranian civilization regarding Islam as a civilizing religion capable of making a superior society.
Five-year long-term goals
Research in the following areas
• Background of the Islamic-Iranian civilization in science, organization, and art
• Theoretical foundations of the Islamic-Iranian civilization
• The Quranic teachings for making a superior society
• Answers of the Shia Islamic Jurisprudence to the civilizational needs of the modern world
Two-year action plans toward the long-term goals
Research in the following areas
• Foundations of the Islamic civilization with regard to the Islamic-Iranian paradigm of progress
• Rebuilding the logic and methodology of religious intellectualism in the new Islamic civilization
• Social interpretation of the Quran with regards to the needs of the new Islamic civilization
• Structures of Fiqh(Islamic Jurisprudence), urbanization Islamic Jurisprudence, Islamic Jurisprudence of the Islamic sects, criticism of Salafism.
Research Department for Quran and Social Studies
Department of the Exegesis and the Quranic Sciences started its activities in 1989 just after the formation of the Khorasan branch of the Islamic Propagation Office of the Qom Seminary. The department has made scientific collaboration with many researchers, which resulted in many Quranic works.
Department of the Social Studies of Religion was established in 1991 by the formation of a group of researchers in the field of social studies.
In 2016, by the decision of the research center for Civilizational Islam, the departments mentioned above merged and the Quran and Social Studies Department was founded.
Providing the scientific foundations of the new Islamic-Iranian civilization, by conducting Quranic researches concerning social issues.
Study in the following areas:
• Social lifestyle in the Quran
• Sociology of religion in the Quran
• Social interpretation of the Quran
• Social damages and its cures in the Quran
Study in the following areas:
• Bases and methods of the social interpretation of the Quran
• Paradigm of the social justice in the Quran
• Solutions of hypocrisy in the Quran
• Bases of the social justice in the Quran
Department for Islamic Art and Civilization
The Islamic East Studies Department was formed in 1994 with focus on cultural and civilizational studies of the Islamic east (i.e., Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India).
The religious literature and art department was formed in 2005 with focus on taking a wise attitude and right methods of thinking based on religious texts concerning the literature and art studies.
Following the new approach, in 2016 the two above mentioned departments merged and the Islamic Art and Civilization Department was formed. Today, the department, using the two decades of research experience, aiming at the identification of the new Islamic civilization, continues its activities.
Studying the bases of the Islamic art and new Islamic civilization is one of the most important fields in the Islamic art and civilization studies which incorporates the relation of Islam and science, Islam and politics, Islam and art, Islam and society, Islam and philosophy, Islam and mythology.
• Interdisciplinary issues regarding the foundations of Islamic-Iranian art and civilization
• Exploring the potential of the Islamic sources regarding the Islamic art and civilization
• Critical study of the theories of the bases of Islamic art and civilization
• Philosophy of the Islamic civilization, its bases, and identity
• Role of Shia architecture in the Islamic-Iranian paradigm of progress
Department for Philosophy and New Theology
In 1995, the Khorasan branch of the Propagation Office of the Qom Seminary established a department named Islamic Philosophy and Theology. The department, now named as Philosophy and New Theology, with more than two decades history and cooperation of fifty researchers, has completed multiple projects and presented them in the form of books, articles, memoirs, and scientific sessions.
Provision of the scientific foundations of the modern Islamic-Iranian civilization through theoretical and foundational research
Research in the following areas:
• Logic and methodology of the religious science with regards to the new Islamic civilization
• Epistemological foundations of the religious science in the new Islamic civilization
• Paradigms of the religious intellectualism with regards to the needs of the modern human
Research in the following areas:
• Reconstruction of the logic of the Islamic thought
• Appropriate paradigms of logic and methodology concerning the progress of the contemporary world
• Reconstruction of the paradigms of the religious intellectualism in the Islamic world
• Theoretical foundations of the epistemology of the new Islamic civilization
Department for Applied Islamic Jurisprudence
Islamic Jurisprudence studies in the Khorasan branch of the Islamic Propagation Office of the Qom Seminary started in 1994 and from 1998 developed its activities as a department. The Department of the Applied Fiqh has concentrated its efforts to develop the quality and quantity of the process of the deduction of the shari’a from its sources and applications of Fiqh. The department has published valuable works in Fiqh and usul, especially regarding the new Fiqh issues, philosophy of Fiqh, and philosophy of Usul.
Providing the scientific foundations of the new Islamic-Iranian civilization through conducting researches in Islamic Jurisprudence considering social needs.
Research in the following areas:
• Islamic Jurisprudence rulings regarding city and urbanization
• Philosophy of Islamic Jurisprudence and Usul with regards to the Islamic civilization
• Islamic Jurisprudence schools in the Islamic civilization
Research in the following areas:
• Descriptive identification of Islamic Jurisprudence sources with a focus on city and urbanization
• The conceptual structure of the Islamic Jurisprudence rulings regarding city and urbanization
• Criticism of the bases and opinions of Salafi Islamic Jurisprudence
• Historical evolution of comparative Islamic Jurisprudence and its foundations
Research Center for Ethics and Spirituality
The research center started its activities in 2003 as "The Center for Ethics and Education", and continued its activities in 2007 with two research and specialized departments of the center. Since 2017, by adding the department for Islamic and spirituality studies, the new round of activities under the title of the Research Center for Ethics and Spirituality have been started with three research departments.
• Explanation and refinement of the foundations and frameworks of the Islamic ethics, education, and spirituality and its development to various personal and social fields
• Explanation of the ethical-educational system of Islam and proving its capability and superiority over other systems
• Rational defense of the moral and spiritual teachings of Islam and answering the questions
• Presentation of the up to date moral examples for fulfilling the needs of the contemporary human and society
• Forming a center for answering the needs of the cultural and policy-making centers of the Islamic Republic of Iran
• Producing the moral-educational-spiritual code needed for the Islamic civilization and emphasizing the revival and expansion of the Islamic moral and spiritual teachings
• Commitment to the bases and original elements of the Islamic morality and spirituality, and the school of Ahl al-Bayt (a)
• Considering the real issues of the Islamic society in the fields of morality and spirituality
• Active connection with the research centers of the Shia seminaries and universities and using their potential and achievements
• Emphasis on teamwork in research projects
• Using the potentials of the sciences and critical study of other spiritual cultures and religions
• Active interaction with the institutions of the Islamic Republic of Iran related to the religious education for providing practical studies
• Performing research plans in the areas of the history and philosophy of the Islamic morality, new ethical issues of the Islamic society, reconstruction of the methodology of the ethics, the system of Islamic morality and comparing it with other systems, ethical needs of the society of Iran, and practical ethics
• Review the works of the leaders of the schools of Islamic ethics and critical study and translation of the important works of other religions on ethics
• Monitoring the public morality
• Compilation and explanation of the system of Islamic character education (foundations, goals, principles, methods, factors, obstacles, stages, program, organizations, etc.)
• Identification, review, and reconstruction of the character educational doctrines regarding their authenticity, rationality, and effectiveness.
• Expansion of the comparative studies among the Islamic sects and identification of the differences and the exclusive aspects of the educational school of Ahl al-Bayt (a)
• Study in the field of the semantics of the concepts of character education
• Identification of the current educational issues and pathology of the public morality (e.g., work ethic, discipline) and planning to improve public morality
• Setting significant moral and spiritual figures as moral examples and publication of their biography
• Promoting and supporting the strengths of the national culture such as respecting the elders, kindness, honor, hospitality, etc.
Islam and Spirituality Studies Department
• Semantics of the Islamic spirituality and presenting its features
• Introduction and analysis of the existing views, theories, and research activities in the field of spirituality
• Future study of spirituality in Iran
• Identification and criticism of non-religious spirituality in Iran and false spiritualties
• Identification of shortcomings and suggestion of some ways of an effective propagation of the Islamic spirituality from Islamic seminaries
The research center has published twenty-two works, eight of which have won awards.
Research Center for Quranic Sciences and Culture
The Research Center for Quranic Sciences and Culture was established in 1988 under the title of "The Center for Quranic Culture and Knowledge and with aim of promotion of Quranic knowledge and culture as well as defending the legitimacy of its teachings. The research center has contributed greatly to advance the Quranic activities in Qom Seminary by having a novel view on the areas of Quranic interpretation, translation and subjects.
• Management and development of the methods of Quranic studies
• Considering the needs of the modern society in the researches
• Development of the Quranic culture
• Development of the Quranic studies based on the teachings of Ahl al-Bayt (a)
• Reestablishing the structure of society according to the Quranic teachings
• Discussion, interaction, and partnership with the Quranic research centers and institutes
• Application of the scientific elites of seminary and university in Quranic studies
• Observation, analysis, and criticism of the skepticisms
• Facilitate the access to the Quranic sources by the compilation of comprehensive interpretations (sequential and thematic), learning material, translations, and encyclopedias.
• Discovery of the subjective connection, and the system of the Quranic teachings for organizing the Quranic civilization studies
• Presentation of sequential and thematic exegesis and translation of the Quran for various groups
• Provision of the needs of educational centers in the areas of the exegesis and translation of the Quran
• Propagation of the Quranic knowledge in the format of educational texts
• Reproduction of the exegeses based on new needs and necessities
• Development of the exegesis and translation heritage
• Codification of the long-term and short-term goals and plans for the research activities of the research center
• Presentation of the suggested policies for optimizing and updating the activities of the research center
• Identification and active connection with the centers active in the same areas and using their experience and potentials
• Employing the researchers in the areas of exegesis, translation, and authors of educational texts
• Study in the areas of sequential and thematic exegesis, and translation of Quran
• Identification of the current issues and shortcomings and compilation of exegeses and translations for the needs of the contemporary society
• Holding sessions for criticism and study in the areas of exegesis, translation, and educational texts
• Assessment of the works and current programs of the research center
• Identification of the educational goals regarding the needs of the audience for authoring educational texts
• Presentation of the criteria for the standard translation of the Quran and a template for categorizing the translations
• Compilation and presentation of the yearly activities of the research center
• Identification, gathering, and categorizing the sources and issues related to exegesis and translation of the Quran
• Suggestion of topics for the research, books, articles, and theses
• Counseling researchers, authors of books, articles, and theses
The Department for Exegesis of The Holy Quran
The Department for Quranic Sciences
The Department for Comparative Studies
The Department for Quranic Encyclopedias
The Department for Quranic Dictionaries
Research Center for Islamic Documents and Information Management
The history of Research Center for Islamic Documents and Information Management goes back to 1992 when it started its activities as the “Unit forThesaurus of Islamic Sciences” with 15 researchers. In 2005, the unit was merged with the “Information Unit” of the Islamic Propagation Office of Qom Seminary and continued its job with a new title “Center for the Islamic Information and Documents”. Finally, in 2016 the center was upgraded to a research center.
The mission of the research center is storage, retrieval, and promotion of the information for empowering the Islamic sciences and facilitation of the fast and accurate access to the information.
• Study the challenges of the compilation of thesauruses
• Study in the area of scientometrics and the role of the thesauruses in the pathology of the Islamic sciences
• Study the methods of indexing and compatibility of each method with different Islamic sciences
• Study the shortcomings of the conventional indexing and its compatibility with a thesaurus
• Compilation and completion of the thesaurus of private criminal law, thesaurus of the new theology, and thesaurus of religions
• Compilation and completion of the dictionary of Islamic theology, the dictionary of logic, and the dictionary of new theology
• Completion and compilation of the indexes of Islamic ethics, Islamic theology, Mahdawi knowledge, new theology, and religions
• Using information technologies, and study, design, and management of the research systems for the dissemination of information and science
• Completion of the thesaurus of the public criminal law and the thesaurus of religions
• Completion of the dictionaries of Islamic theology and logic
• Study the theoretical issues of ontology and the project of the ontology of the Islamic sciences
• Completion of the indexes of Islamic ethics, Islamic theology, and Mahdawi knowledge
• Supporting, developing, and optimizing the website of Information Management of the Islamic sciences
• Analyze, documentation, and design of the new website of Information Management of the Islamic sciences based on service-oriented architecture
1. The Department for Compilation of Knowledge Systems
• Compilation of the thesauruses and dictionaries of the Islamic sciences
• Localization of the modern information systems for storing and retrieving the information of Islamic sciences
• Compilation and completion of the thesauruses of public criminal law, new theology, and religions
• Compilation and completion of the dictionaries of Islamic theology, logic, and new theology
• The project of the ontology of the Islamic sciences
• Study scientometrics in the area of the Islamic theology
• Compilation and completion of the thesauruses of public criminal law and religions
• Compilation and completion of the dictionaries of Islamic theology and logic
• The project of the ontology of the Islamic sciences (the first phase)
2. The Department for Organization of the Islamic Information and Documents
The mission of the department is standardizing, content analysis, organizing, and representation of the content of the Islamic documents using the document management systems.
• Study the methods of indexing and compatibility of each method with different Islamic sciences
• Study the shortcomings of the conventional indexing and its compatibility with a thesaurus
• Study the indexing of the Islamic sources in the areas of Islamic ethics, Islamic theology, Mahdawi knowledge, new theology, and religions
• Study the methods of indexing and compatibility of each method with a new theology and Mahdawi knowledge
• Study the indexing of the Islamic sources in the area of new theology
• Completion of the indexing of the Islamic sources in the areas of Islamic ethics, Islamic theology, and Mahdawi knowledge
3. The Department for Dissemination of Knowledge and Information
The mission of the department is to use information technology and study, design, and management of the research systems in the dissemination of information and knowledge.
• Codification of frameworks of storage, process, and dissemination of the information and science
• Design and implementation of the online research portal of Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy
• Supporting and developing systems of the academy
• Supporting, developing, and optimizing the website of information management of Islamic sciences
• Analyze, documentation, and design of the new website of Information Management of the Islamic Sciences based on service-oriented architecture
Research Center for Mahdiism and Future Studies (Futurology)
• Scientific explanation of Mahdism in various fields using the Quranic, hadith, theological, and philosophical bases
• Theorizing and presentation of the appropriate strategies for the Islamic Republic of Iran based on Mahdism and the Mahdawi utopia
• Theoretical and practical support of the Islamic Republic of Iran inspired from the Mahdawi utopia
• Hosting discussions and sessions for the explanation of the Mahdawi utopia
• Creating the desired vision of the future of the world in line with the realization of the Mahdawi utopia
• Answering the questions and presenting the solutions to the crises and challenges of the humankind according to the Mahdaviat teachings
• Localization and support future studies in Qom Seminary focused on the Mahdawi teaching and dynamic waiting
• Identification of the social and cultural status of the awaiting society and the issues it is facing, with future studies approach
Department for Mahdism Studies
The department seeks to study and explain the theological, philosophical, mystical, cultural, social, psychological aspects of Mahdism from a practical and fundamental view.
Fields of Study
• Theological and philosophical foundations of Mahdism
• New theological issues of Mahdism
• Pathology and answering the questions regarding Mahdism
• Theological comparative studies of Mahdism
• Exegesis of the Quranic verses regarding Mahdism
• Views of the exegetes of the Quran regarding Mahdism
• Checking the authenticity of hadiths regarding Mahdism
• Study of the content and implication of hadiths regarding Mahdism
• Methodology and the foundations of the Mahdist morality and education
• Moral and educational of the awaiting society
• Moral and educational aspects of the Mahdawi utopia
• Pathology of morality and education of the awaiting society
• Methodology and fundamental social and political issues of Mahdism
• Political and social aspects of the Mahdawi utopia
• Political and social aspects of the awaiting society
• Political and social pathology of the awaiting society
• Comparative study of the political and social aspects of Mahdism
Department for Future Studies of Religion and Religiosity
Concerning the deep relation of future studies and Mahdism teaching in the Islamic thought, the department studies and explains the foundations of future studies according to the Islamic bases. The primary mission of the department is the identification and localization of future studies in the fields of religion and Mahdism.
Fields of Study
• Explanation of the foundations of future studies with the Islamic approach
• Explanation of the aspect of the connection of future studies with studies of religion
• Methodology of future studies
• Identification and analysis of the status of future studies in the Islamic world
• Analysis of the potential of the Mahdism thought in making exemplars for explaining and designing the future of the awaiting society
• Explanation of the future of the Islamic Republic of Iran using the exemplar of the Mahdawi society
• Localization of future studies based on revelation (the Quran)
• Explanation of the necessity of using future studies in the religious government
Department for Movement Studies of Mahdism
The department studies the sects and currents of Mahdism. The department studies that how a Mahdist current form and the factors affect it. Mahdist currents are divided into true and devious. The department is more concerned about the latter currents-the ones that their activities have negative effect in Mahdism like Babism, Bahaism, Ahmad al-Hasan, Mahdi of Sudan, etc. Identification and analysis of the social, cultural, and civilizational factors of the devious Mahdist currents are the missions of the department.
Fields of Study
• Evolutions of the devious Mahdist currents
• Typology of the devious Mahdist currents and sects
• Study of the devious Mahdist currents before the occultation
• Study of the devious Mahdist currents in the minor occultation
• Study of the devious Mahdist currents in the major occultation
• Pathology and analyzing the threats of the Mahdist devious currents
• Causes and factors of formation of the devious Mahdist currents
• Study the contemporary devious Mahdist currents
• Study the claims and audience of the devious Mahdist currents
Research Center for Islamic Philosophy and Theology
The RCIPT affiliated to ISCA was established in 1994 in order to explain and introduce the theoretical doctrines of Islam with a rational-narrative approach, recognizing and reconstructing the philosophical and theological heritage and responding to the intellectual doubts.
In recent years, in addition to conduct research on the intellectual issues of the day, the rich heritage of Muslim thinkers and the use of modern research methods in the field of Islamic sciences to foster fundamental studies, this research center has implemented several great research projects such as Theological Teachings of the Twelver Shi'a Theologians.
Also, focusing on the important intellectual and pragmatic areas such as "philosophy of morality" and "philosophy of the soul" as well as conducting comparative studies in the field of "religion and reason" and "religion and linguistic knowledge", are among the prominent projects of this research center.
Investigating and empowering Islamic philosophy and making connection and its relationship to social and political needs, as well as modernizing the Shi'a theology in order to be more active in facing rival thoughts, are some of the most important issues in the current and future plans.
1. Explicating and reforming the foundations and theoretical frameworks of Islamic philosophy and theology in order to develop and empower them, and also to meet the individual and social needs.
2. Recognition and systematic explanation of theoretical doctrines of Islam.
3. Rational defense of Islamic doctrines and response to philosophical and theological doubts.
4. Innovations in presenting Islamic doctrines and make them comprehensible according to the various levels of the audience.
1. A wise and logical look at intellectual issues and an interest in scientific and rational reviews and implementation of the efficient research.
2. Adherence to genuine Islamic principles and paying attention to research pathologies and avoiding eclecticism, intellectual dogmatism and looking superficially in the field of thinking.
3. Knowing the audience and matching the content of the research with the features and needs of the audience.
4. Considering doubts and new philosophical and theological issues.
5. An attempt to investigate the religion and Religiosity requirements of Contemporary human being.
6. Active treatment in the field of philosophical and theological issues and theorization instead of passive treatment.
7. Attempting to communicate and interact with scholars and thinkers and use their capacity and achievements in the field of Islamic philosophy and theology towards carrying out the tasks and research activities.
8. Using up-to-date and effective literature to present research achievements.
9. an attempt towards intellectual effectiveness and strengthening the spiritual foundations of the audience
10. Specializing the research fields pertaining to Islamic philosophy and theology
11. Determining research priorities according to necessities and needs
12. Using the achievements of human science and knowledge along with the critical attitude toward its shortcomings and its inconsistencies with Islamic thought
13. Prioritizing group activities and thinking together on philosophical and theological studies
14. Observing the scientific criteria and standards and applying new methods and tools in philosophical and theological research.
1. Review of philosophical and theological thought and its extension to empower philosophical and theological ideas.
2. Dealing with the fundamental issues and theoretical foundations of philosophy and theology with the aim of deepening religious issues.
3. Translation of important and effective philosophical and theological works in order to enrich the philosophical and theological issues.
4. Reviewing and criticizing various philosophical and theological traditions with the aim of better Islamic teachings explanation.
5. Study, research and implementation of research projects on the doctrinal system of Islam
6. Identifying philosophical and theological doubts and providing appropriate responses
7. Identifying various audiences and expressing Islamic teachings according to their needs.
8. Creating specialized groups in order to carry out research plans and activities
9. Providing context for dialogue among Muslim scholars and holding conferences with philosophical and theological topics
10. Identifying and attracting researchers and supporting the scholars of the Islamic Seminary in the field of philosophy and theology with the aim of providing context for their growth and promotion.
11. Providing research resources and context to facilitate research in the field of Islamic philosophy and theology
12. Providing the context for the growth and enhancement of the knowledge and ability of researchers through holding classes and workshops, scientific meetings and discussions, creating opportunities for study, etc.
13. Informing the Islamic seminaries on the novel issues and challenges of the Islamic society in the field of philosophy and theology.
14. Communication and cooperation with organizations, institutions, authorities, cultural elites, institutes and scientific, research and executive centers in order to advance the goals of the research center.
15. Building active and constructive relationship with other research centers and divisions of the ISCA with the aim of establishing coordination, implementing joint plans and preventing repetitive work.
At present, there are three active research departments in the research center:
1. Department of Philosophy
2. Department of Islamic Theology
3. Department for Philosophy of Ethics
Research Center for Islamic Jurisprudence and Law
The Research Center for Jurisprudence and Law was established in 1995 and its field of study is devoted to the Islamic jurisprudential and legal knowledge and its related sciences.
The works of this research center are very diverse and not limited to a particular field of jurisprudence and law, but it defines and approves those research priorities whose main characteristic of all these studies is the element of "innovation", according to criteria such as the need of the community and the lack of research in a particular topic.
One of the most important innovations of this research center is the attempt to explain and explicate the philosophy of jurisprudence and institutionalize it in studies focusing on jurisprudential science. During its scientific lifetime, in addition to review the legacy of new developments, the research center has been trying to underscore the better efficacy of Shiite jurisprudence by making use of Shiite jurisprudential legacy and seminary scholars.
The main goals of this research center are:
1. Explaining and revising the basics and theoretical frameworks of jurisprudential science in order to consolidate and develop it in various personal and social fields.
2. Providing effective jurisprudential models towards responding to the basic needs and questions of contemporary human and society.
3. Providing intelligent analysis of jurisprudential and legal teachings.
4. Explaining the foundations and jurisprudential and legal issues in the Islamic Republic of Iran and answering its needs.
5. Introducing and explaining the foundations, sources, territory, goals, history and methods for the inference of jurisprudence and Islamic law.
6. Transferring the needs of the inference to the Usul science (principles of Islamic jurisprudence) and turning them into subjects in the Usul-related form.
7. Leading profoundly Usul-related skills from purely scientific discussions to practical one.
8. Fertilizing the knowledge capacities of jurisprudential rules in the framework of strengthening the comparative topics of jurisprudence and law.
The Scientific Departments in Research Center for Jurisprudence and Law
The Department for Philosophy of Islamic Jurisprudence and Law
This group is responsible for the research and study on jurisprudence and law with an external look and answers questions that arises in the field of methods, foundations, resources and goals of jurisprudence and Islamic law.
The Department for Jurisprudential Sciences (Usul, jurisprudence rules, Rijal and Hadith)
This department is responsible for research and study in the field of sciences such as Usul, jurisprudential rules, Rijal and hadith.
The Department for Jurisprudential and Legal Issues
This department is responsible for reviewing specific jurisprudential and legal issues which are challenging and brought up in the macro level of the society and the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Research Center for Political Thought and Sciences
The Research Center for Political Thought and Sciences started its activities in Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy to carry out research and studies in the field of Islamic political sciences and thought in 1995. The research center has taken effective steps to revive and rebuild the political knowledge of Islam over the past years, through taking advantage of the experiences and potential of seminary and academic scholars. Currently, the research center has organized its goals, duties, policies and plans based on the Islamic Republic of Iran's 20-year Vision Plan, by trying to answer the questions and intellectual challenges related to its research domains and providing the necessary context for reproduction of political-religious culture and presenting political knowledge according to the Islamic resources, identity in the fields of political philosophy, political jurisprudence and political sciences.
• Presentation of the Islamic political thought
• Reaching to the political science
• Presentation of the Islamic political system through empowering and development of the Islamic political thought
• Criticism and analysis of the Islamic political heritage
• Comparing, criticizing, and analysis of the rival political schools
• Answering the basic questions and intellectual and political issues of the religious culture and foundations of the Islamic government
• Study, research, and performing research projects about the foundations, scope, paradigms, and fundamental issues of the Islamic political science
• Study, research, criticism, analysis, and conducting research plans about the political thought of the Muslim thinkers and non-Islamic political thoughts
• Identification of the shortcomings of the Islamic political science to answer the needs and demands of the contemporary human
• Comparative study of the existing political thoughts and explanation of the theoretical framework of the Islamic political science
• Study and analysis of the socio-political issues of the Islamic society and government and informing the Shia Seminary
• Forming specialty groups for performing research plans
• Providing the sources and facilitating the research about the political science
• Identification, employment, and supporting the researchers of the Shia Seminary in the fields of the Islamic political science
• Providing means of discussion among the experts of the political science and holding scientific sessions and meetings
• Communication and collaboration with the organizations, institutions, cultural figures, and scientific-cultural institutes for reaching the national and international goals of the research center
• Establishing an active and constructive relationship with other institutions and subsidiaries of the Islamic Science and Culture Academy, for having more coordination, implementing joint research plans, and avoiding duplicate works
• Emphasis on the original Islamic bases and avoiding eclecticism and dogmatism
• Considering the political life of the contemporary human
• Considering the new issues and requirements of the religion in the socio-political areas
• Considering the socio-political subjects and issues of the Islamic Republic of Iran
• Active encounter in the areas of culture and political science and theorizing and emphasizing on the Islamic sources and foundations in the new ideas and theories
• Considering the scientific standards and criteria in the socio-political studies
• Active presence in the discussions of the Islamic political science
• Using the achievements of the human science in the field of the political science and identification of its shortcomings and inconsistencies with the Islamic thought
• Critical analysis of the Islamic political knowledge and avoiding any absolutism in science
• Specializing the groups and areas of researches
• Connecting with the scholars and thinkers and using their achievements
• Giving priority to teamwork
• Active connection with other scientific centers
• Prioritizing the research subjects
There are three departments in the research center:
1. Department for Political Sciences
2. Department for Political Philosophy
3. Department for Political Jurisprudence
Research Deputy is one of the two deputies of the Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy, which according to its statute fulfills the following duties:
- Proposing the supervisors of the research projects
- Recognition of the needs for research in cooperation with the institutes
- Compiling the research program of the academy from the proposals of the institutes and centers
- Checking the stages of the proposed plans and their accordance with the policies of ISCA
- Keeping track and supervising the fulfillment of the expectations of the research committee regarding the proposed research plans and publication committee for the works before publication
- Monitoring and inspecting the independent projects
The deputy has two offices
- Libraries and Documents Office
- Research Planning and Assessment Office
Libraries and Documents Office
One of the most important cultural activities, which is a base for learning and research, is the promotion of the culture of book reading and offering the technical and scientific services to the researchers. Considering the mission of the Islamic Propagation Office of the Shia Seminary of Qom in development of the public culture utilizing the potentials of the Shia Seminary of Qom, and offering educational, research, cultural services to society especially intellectuals, numerous libraries in different fields have been established.
Sources of the public library, collected gradually from 1966, are currently considered as the largest group of religious libraries of Iran.
- Public and lending library
- Seminary students library
- Writers’ library
- Library of manuscripts
- House of the press
Specialty libraries of the Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy, include a significant amount of sources in four primary subjects
- Specialty library of philosophy and theology
- Specialty library of Islamic jurisprudence and law
- Specialty library of political sciences
- Specialty library of history and tradition of Ahl al-Bayt (a)
And in seven secondary subjects
- References works
- Ethics and morality
- Literature and art
Quranic Culture and Knowledge Library
The specialty library of the Center for Quranic Culture and Knowledge is one of the largest specialty libraries of the Islamic Propagation Office of the Qom Seminary and one of the richest libraries of the country regarding Quranic sciences.
Research Planning and Assessment Office
The office is in charge of assuring the effectiveness and quality of the studies conducted in the academy in addressing the needs and issues of society by planning and assessing the research activities. Its duties include:
- Definition of the required regulations and revision of the existing regulations concerning research activities
- Inspecting and the quantity and quality of the activities of the faculty members
- Supervising the research activities from the contract signing to the publication of the works
- Producing periodical reports of the institutes, center, and branches and proposing modifications accordingly
Academy in Brief
Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy
With the advent of Islamic revolution in Iran, religious studies entered a new phase of growth and proliferation. In 1979, a cultural and preaching institution was established on the order of Imam Khomeini (in Qom). This institution was later on called Islamic Propagation Office of Qom Seminary. The main duty of this institution was to deal with cultural concerns and address religious questions raised by the newly established Islamic political system in Iran. In addition to undertaking propagation-related activities, it added (later on) education and research works, to its menu of activities.
In 1983, the need to study Islamic original sources and the need to revive Islamic culture in accordance with the demands of time prompted the authorities to establish the first research center of Islamic Propagation Office under the title of Islamic Studies and Research Center. As this center gradually flourished, it turned into four academies (related to Islamic philosophy and Islamic theology, Jurisprudence and Laws, Political Sciences and Thought, History and Conduct of Ahlulbayt) and three research centers (belonging to revival of Islamic works, glossary of Islamic sciences and answering religious questions).
Lack of scholarly Quranic studies (in the country)caused Islamic Propagation Office of Qom Seminary to establish an independent center to address this concern. Having attracted the best students of Quranic sciences and having already carried out many important research projects this center is now the greatest center for Quranic studies in Iran. Given the need for scholarly studies on Mahdaviyat (the belief in final savior called Mahdi), the authorities have also established Mahdaviyat Academy and Future-related studies, the first of its kind in this area.
Considering the need for studying cultural conditions of the society and environmental requirements, in 2008, the Academy authorities began to establish a center for cultural and social studies.
Explicating pure knowledge of Islam and refining religious culture from dogmatism and eclecticism.
The systematic explication of Islam and presenting efficient individual and social models appropriate for the needs of contemporary world through development, cogitation and empowerment of Islamic sciences.
Provision of scientific support for systematization and efficiency of religious government and Islamic
Presently, Islamic Sciences and Culture Academy (ISCA) consists of 10 research centers and two centers. Moreover, it publishes four scientific-research journals and six scientific-promotional journals.
Being active in the past three decades, the information resources of the Academy that work in the form of general and specialized libraries are currently among the top religious libraries in the country. General library is designed for seminary writers whereas the specialized library is devoted to Islamic sciences and humanities as well as Quranic studies. The Information resources include an archive as well for specialized newspapers, magazines and periodicals. Having published more than 1100 research works and having obtained 181 rewards for its select works in (different) festivals and scholarly circles in the country, the Academy has set a record in accomplishing its mission. It is worth mentioning that in 2010 Islamic Sciences and Research Academy was announced as a superior research institute by the fourth Farabi International Festival.
Board of Trustees
The board of trustees of the ISCA is composed of the following legal and natural persons:
- President of the Islamic Propagation Office Of Qom Seminary (chairman)
- Representative of the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology
- Governor of Qom
- President of ISCA (secretary)
- Two academic-cultural figures who have a significant role in the development and advancement of ISCA (*)
- One or three persons from the faculty members of universities and academics (*)
* These members are appointed by the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology
The board of trustees meets at least quarterly by the invitation of the chair.
Duties and authorities of the board of trustees include:
- Approval of the internal regulations of the board of trustees
- Proposal of the president to the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology
- Approval of the organization chart and the structure of the academy and the needed regulation according to the proposition of the president of the academy
- Trying to attract financial support for the academy
- Approval of the employment regulations
- Supervision and approval of the budget
- Proposal for the formation, expansion, or dissolution of institutes
- Approval of financial regulations